We, the Heads of ASEAN Power Utilities/Authorities, reiterate our commitment to contribute to strengthening ASEAN energy security and enhancing capacity building in the region, while taking necessary actions to preserve the environment and address climate-related challenges. We are specifically committed to:
- In pursuit of the integration of the ASEAN Power Grid (APG) to support optimal use of resources and economic integration, conduct a review of the lessons learned from the Phase 1 of the Lao PDR–Thailand–Malaysia-Singapore Power Integration Project (LTMS PIP) and assess the implementation plans for Phase 2 to include Singapore as well as the Lao PDR-Thailand-Myanmar power integration project;
- Towards establishing the market mechanism, institutions and interconnection infrastructure needed to advance multilateral electricity trade, complete the Feasibility Study for ASEAN Multilateral Power Trade in 2019 and synergise with the two other major APG studies, namely the studies on the ASEAN Power Grid Generation and Transmission System Planning Institution (AGTP) and the ASEAN Power Grid Transmission System Operator Institution (ATSO) as well as the ASEAN Interconnection Master Plan Study (AIMS III);
- Contribute to the achievement of the ASEAN renewable energy (RE) target of 23% by 2025, by among others examining the flexibility of the generation, transmission and distribution systems to respond to the increasing scale of RE penetration and strengthening programs on energy efficiency and conservation as well as exploring ways to deploy smart grid and digitisation technologies;
- Address the challenges to the utility industry arising from the convergence of power and telecommunications by embarking on technical, commercial and safety studies on the use of existing fiber optics in the power systems for telecommunications; and,
- Continue to enhance the competency of ASEAN Member States on the efficient production, delivery and consumption of electricity through collaborative trainings and providing avenues to share expertise and best practices.